Jason has been unhappy at his teaching job pretty much since he started there. At first he chalked it up to being a new teacher with normal growing pains. By the end of his first year, he actually was pretty psyched about teaching the next year. After the first week of school with year number two, we were concerned because this year, which was supposed to be better than the first was harder. If it hadn't been for the 9th graders of that year, I don't know what he would have done to find any kind of joy in his job. By the end of last year he was discouraged but determined to really give this job a chance to succeed so here we are in year number three...He turned in his letter of resignation last week.
What now? Well, with the current job market, it's been tough searching for jobs that would even consider a couple of musicians. Even as a receptionist. I guess other people are better qualified at answering phones and making copies than we are (Sooo frustrating). My studio is stable and even growing a little, but it would really hurt us to be living off of my income solely. Not only would our cash flow be gone, but we'd have no insurance to cover our medical expenses. Another baby isn't in the cards for a few more months at least but once it does happen, we're going to need medical coverage. The only prospect I have currently is at the Seattle Opera. I tried getting a job, but they're hurting like everyone else right now and therefore, not hiring. For now, I'm going to volunteer there to get my face and name out there and hopefully a job will open up soon.
Another possibly option would be for us to head east. Jason is actively building his portfolio and is thinking about getting his masters degree in photography. This would give him more education, more reputation, and the credibility to teach at the collegiate level. I've thought about getting my masters since I would be right there, but I'm still on the fence as to whether or not that's the best option for me. We'll see.
Say a prayer for us.

No comments:
Post a Comment