Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Close Call!

Today I listened to the wind howl. Most of the time, I like that sound. It just makes you want to curl up with a blanket and read a good book. This time was a bit different. We have some bamboo privacy shades that hang out on our covered patio that tend to fall down when it gets windy. After listening to them bang around for a while I started to think that perhaps I should go take them down before they blow out of the yard. I was instantly inspired to take action when I heard this loud cracking sound. It lasted for at least 5 seconds. I thought, "Crap I think I lost one of them." So I look out my window and see that two had fallen and the third had flipped up over the covered patio and was banging against the top of it. I put my shoes on to take care of it, walked outside my house, looked to my left and BAM! 

What I saw, were two 50' Fir Trees from my neighbor's yard lying across our backyard. That loud crack I heard was the sound of limbs snapping. Standing there, I was overcome with relief because if that tree had come down in the other direction, I'd probably be looking for a new place to live. I'm also relieved that Jason took himself into work this morning because if he hadn't, our car would have been seriously damaged...Jason seemed a bit bummed by this. He wouldn't mind to have insurance buy us a new car. I laugh.

The rest of the afternoon became a neighborhood party. Everyone came over to see our backyard. We all laughed about the fact that it took a natural disaster to have us all meet like that and perhaps we should have a party on purpose next time. And then my neighbor Peggy, who happens to be one of our landlords, got all excited because being the master gardener that she is, saw this as an opportunity to redecorate. I love it. We're all safe and will have this memory to look back on as our close call.

As you can see, the root system wasn't all that dee.

Our poor apple tree...


p.s. tomorrow, there's a chance of snow. I don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment