Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Happy St. Patrick's Day

     Am I Irish? A little... I love holidays like this in America, because pretty much everybody comes from such a diverse heritage that the chance you are a wee bit Irish is pretty darn high. I used to have more than I do now. How is that possible you ask? A few years back, one of my mom's sisters was doing a little geneology searching and came across this man in Missouri. He claimed to be of Irish descent, black Irish I believe, and was given the right to a stake of land. This guy must have been a clever bloke because he in fact wasn't even remotely Irish. Not one hair on his head. Nope. He was just a really convincing Native American who wanted a piece of the pie but knew that his chances of succees increased dramatically if he passed off as an Irishman.
     I need to find out who in my family was responsible for uncovering this story because in my book, that's pretty legendary behavior and I don't want this story to be lost to time. This is one I'll be telling my grandkids. Mostly, I just want to know this guy's name.
     That's my one Irish story. My dad's family has some Irish in it, so I can somewhat claim today as a holiday of my own. But the posing Irishman is my only Irish story. Sad...Oh well! Have a beer! Happy St. Patty's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment